Monday, July 30, 2012

Don't Fence Me In...or OUT!

In addition to Navigator, I am the official Fence Opener of this project.  We have run into every make and size of fence tighteners.  After about a month of getting out, opening the fence, waiting for Tony to drive through, closing the fence, walking up to the truck, getting in (90% of the time Tony driving off on me laughing), I decided to take a few photos of the different contraptions out there.

This was the one that actually spurred the idea.
It's a work of art!
 Old school...with a present from a bird left on top.
You can't see it very well but that is a earped-up dragonfly sitting on top of the post...ick!
 My favorite kind...in red.
 Jerry-rigged style...actually holding up the fence!
 Awesome!  How cool is this spinning one?
 Same rancher as the first photo.
I think he is an artist.
 Not fooling around with the fence posts around here!
This thing was taller than me.
 If this gate got any tighter the stick would bust!
I needed help on this one.
 Genius!
 Pretty standard BLM tightener.
 Well at least the Pronghorn can go under here.
Headed into an existing Wilderness Study Area bordering one of our inventory units.
The road is on the WSA side...huh? 
 The pin lock threw me off for a bit.
I about threw a hissy fit thinking we were locked out and had to turn around.
As a result, I have not only run across a multitude of fence tighteners, I have become aware of the issue of access to public lands.  I don't yet understand it all, even after Tony's explanations of how it all works.  In short, I just don't think its "fair" that I can't access public land because private land owners lock the roads.  In most cases it's private landowners running hunting outfitting businesses who lock up the public lands for their own personal game preserve.  I can't get on lands on which my tax dollars go to support?  What?? 

So it's like this, if a public road crosses public land you can access the land at that point.  This includes State, BLM, National Forest, Monuments, etc.  If a piece of public land is surrounded by private property, that land owner can close access to the public land.  Period.  You are hooped if you want to go there even if it's just to photograph "their" game animals.

I suppose I should call and apologize to the people I left a nasty voice mail.  They own the access road into the Bullwacker area of the Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument.  Here is a link to the court settlement about access.  No mention of campers or hikers...

I need to learn more...whining "its not fair" doesn't make any difference at the end of the day.  For now, thank you to anyone who shares access to the pubic lands through their private property to the minority of people like me who just want to experience the untouched corners of our amazing state.

1 comment:

Montana Mom and Dad said...

My comment is that I think you and Tony are 'having the time of your life' through lightning storms, rain, mud, hot sun, bugs, snakes? bumpy roads or no roads at all. Even meeting a few cantankerous landowners has added flavor to the experience. Loved your gate contraption picture book:)